Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Not as nice as ladybugs....

Apparently our yard is popular for other creatures besides ladybugs this season. I was freaking out yesterday because I saw a bee in our yard go into a hole in the ground and I was afraid we had a whole hive on our hands. After a little google research I found out that 90% of bee species are solitary bees, not part of a hive. The males can't sting and the females are not aggressive unless provoked. (Maybe I'm dumb, I just always assumed that all bees live in hives.) I've seen them burrowing and mating. I'm pretty sure if they had a queen she would have rules against that kind of thing. I would prefer they chose someone else's yard to live in, but they seem to be all over the neighborhood so I guess we'll just live with them for now. At least our flowers will be happy.

No comments: